When I first became a vegetarian several years ago, my only real strategy was to not eat meat. I did a research project on current farming practices and could not look at meat the same way. The problem with this view was that I ended up eating pasta every. single. day. If you have read my about me, you will know this was not a particularly healthy or successful way of eating. I am still obsessed with pasta but I try my best to find alternatives like spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles to add more veggies to my diet. Recently I was introduced to black bean pasta by a friend and it is currently my new favorite alternative!
Now, what is black bean pasta? Well, it is pretty self-explanatory, the black beans are dried out and turned into a powder form, and when mixed with water they make a pasta-like dough. Black beans have amazing nutritious benefits for plant-based dieters and have been known to help protect against inflammation, heart disease, weight gain, diabetes, and certain cancers. The black bean pasta from Trader Joe’s has a whole 14 grams of protein, compared to the 5 grams in most gluten free pastas.
I will admit that cooking black bean pasta takes a little more effort than regular pasta. I do not recommend just setting and forgetting until the timer goes off. You will need to keep stirring as you cook it, and I recommend testing the pasta about every minute starting at 5-6 minutes. From my own experience and what I have heard from my friends, black bean pasta can be more difficult to get the right texture but it is sooo worth it once you do. Enjoy this fresh spin on a classic dish!
- 16 oz of Black Bean Pasta
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 2 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 15 Cherry Tomatoes
- 16 oz of Fresh Spinach
- ½ tsp of Dried Basil
- ½ tsp of Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp of Italian Seasoning of your choosing
- pinch of Salt and Pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish
- Cook black bean pasta according to instructions on package, and as I mentioned earlier, keep a close eye while making. If you want you can make this first before focusing on the rest of the recipe if it is your first time cooking black bean pasta or are a little less experienced in the kitchen.
- In a large pan heat garlic and olive oil for a minute, then add tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Once fragrant add spices (including salt and pepper) and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted.
- Drain pasta and add the sauce into the pot, mix before serving and add some parsley for garnish!